[ Courses ]
[ Harmonic_Motion ]
[ Lagrangian_and_Hamiltonian_Mechanics ]
[ People ]
Amusement Park Physics
- How do physics laws affect amusement park ride design? Design your own roller coaster and experiment with bumper car collisions.
Block and Tackle
- Colorful illustrated tutorial shows how a block and tackle (as well as levers and gears) works.
Central Forces with Java
- A JAVA applet to simulate orbits in four different central forces: gravity, Yukawa, 1/R^4 and Black Holes
- A brief overview of chaos theory and applications in classical mechanics.
The Controversy over Newton's Gravitational Constant
- History of the gravitational constant.
Free Body Diagrams
- A short introduction to and description of free body diagrams which are essential for the understanding of classical mechanics.
Freshman Problems in Mechanics
- Links to various problem sets relating to 1 and 2 dimensional kinematics. Easy mechanics problems and solutions.
- If you want to learn about gravity come here.
- Graphics, related links and a video combine to show you how gyroscopes work.
How a Gyroscope Works
- Explanation of why a gyroscope should resist being turned in any direction perpendicular to its axis.
How a Helium Balloon Works
- Explanation of lifting capabilities of helium, hydrogen and hot air balloons, from How Stuff Works.
An introduction to physics - Mechanics
- An introduction to classical mechanics. Suitable for students who are beginning the subject.
- Summary of Kepler's three laws.
- Article in the Platonic Realms. Gives an novice's overview of Kepler's laws.
The Lagrange Points
- Overview of the Lagrange points of the sun-earth-system. Links to a detailed derivation.
On a general Method of expressing the Paths of Light,and of the Planets, by the Coefficients of a Characteristic Function
- An original paper by William Rowan Hamilton, dated 1833.
- Gives a solution on a symmetric, linear, triatomic molecule problem.
The Physics and Math of Soccer
- Discusses shape of a soccer ball, spin effects, motion of projectiles.
Physics at Appleby College
- A comprehensive collection of Java Applets on Waves, Sound and Light.
Physics for Beginners
- This site covers motion and forces for individuals with no prior knowledge of the subject.
Physics of Sound
- Rigorous derivation of sound wave equations from a molecular model of an ideal diatomic gas. General solution of the wave equations. Point source radiating in a moving medium.
Primitive Potentials and Newton's Laws from Symmetry
- Symmetry of function. Finding of primitive without integration-summation. Newton's laws of any order. Mechanics of third order.
- Separation of motion of centre of mass and rotation about a fixed axis.
Simulations with Java
- Provides several interactive physics simulations such as springs and masses, pendulums, molecules. Objects, mass, gravity, spring stiffness can be modified.
- Mathematical description and derivation of wave equations.
What is the electron spin?
Electron spin is the electron's electromagnetic field angular momentum
Help build the largest human-edited directory on the web.
Submit a Site
Open Directory Project
Become an Editor